Monday, March 14, 2011

The Best Coffee Cake Ever!!!!!

Well, today I rediscovered coffee cake!!! I got turned off in 8th grade home ec. when we had to made it... could have been the teacher (Mrs. Fennel... you were interesting and meant well) might have been the help... either way I have been swearing off coffee cake since the spring of 1993.

This cake is terrific!!! AND, the best part I found it under breakfast food in my new favorite cook book. (Deceptively Delicious pg 61)

Batter
Non stick cooking spray
1 Cup brown sugar
4 tbls margarine *
1 1/4 Cups low fat butter milk or non-fat milk *
1 Cup Sour Cream *
1 Egg
2 tsp Vanilla
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon*
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Cup Butternut Squash Puree*
1/2 Mini Marshmellows

Topping

1/2 Cup Walnuts or Pecans*
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon*

Preheat oven to 350f. Spray an 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a mixing bowl or with an electric beater combine margarine and sugar. Add milk, sour cream, egg and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. Pour half the batter into the pan and then spread puree and sprinkle marshmallows. Top with the remaining batter. Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle over the batter. Bake for 55-60 minutes. (Always do the toothpick test to be sure) Let cool and serve.

* I use butter instead of margarine, 1% instead of buttermilk or non fat, mayonnaise instead of sour cream, apple spice by epicure instead of cinnamon and stuck with walnuts. I know the mayo substitution sounds weird but this cake takes great... so I think it may the secret! Also, I had about 1/3 of a cup of leftover zucchini puree so I used that and 2/3 cup squash puree.

Happy Breakfast!!!

1 comment: