Friday, April 30, 2010

Black-tie not required - Classy Chicken

Trying to find an original meal every night can be tricky. I want to expose my daughter to as many foods and spices as possible, plus keep it simple as she prefers to feed herself now. With that in mind, I need to consider my husbands’ less than adventurous palate. Chicken is a staple in our house so I love to try new chicken recipes.

Yesterday afternoon I pulled out my “old faithful” (Best of Bridge Cookbook set) and started the search. This recipe jumped off the page for me as it fit my recent needs in cooking: simple, quick and can be prepared in advance plus it can be modified to fit my pantry stock!

Classy Chicken

No black-tie required but it sure tastes it! I modified the recipe (surprise) to accommodate what I had on hand.

3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
¼ tsp Pepper
3 tbsp Butter
2 ½ Cups Broccoli and Carrots (mixed)
1 10oz can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
½ Cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Mustard
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 Cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and sprinkle with pepper. Melt butter in a skillet, and sauté chicken for about 6 minutes. Once chicken is opaque, remove it from the skillet and add in the vegetables; sauté until tender crisp. Drain any excess liquid and arrange in the bottom of a butter casserole dish. Place the chicken on top. Mix together soup, mayonnaise, mustard, curry and lemon juice; pour over the chicken. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top; Bake, uncovered at 350C for 35 minutes.

This can be severed on its own, with a fresh salad or boiled and buttered potatoes.

Eat happy!

***This can be prepared in advance and baked just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment