Friday, January 8, 2010

Staples for your Fridge

I have a few staples in my fridge prefer not to use from the jar (though I do on occasion). There is something about homemade Barbeque sauce and homemade tomato sauce that enhances a meal.

Barbeque Sauce

This recipe was initially found in a cook from the Woodward’s food floor:” Cooking with Mona” by Mona Brun. The cookbook was a wedding shower gift from my cousin and I have found some classic recipes it. I have altered a few ingredients, but have kept the core as it is hard to change a classic. This is great with meatballs, ribs and chicken.

2 tbsp. Oil (I use olive oil)
3/4 Cup Finely Chopped Onion (I use my food processor)
1 Garlic Clove, Chopped
1 Packet Beef Bouillon
1 Cup warm water
2/3 Cup Ketchup
2/3 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 tbsp. Honey
2 tbsp. Cornstarch
2 tsp. Mustard

Heat oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic. Add water (save 2 tbsp.) into the pan with beef bouillon. Stir cornstarch in with reserved water, mix until smooth and add to the pan. Add remaining ingredients and cover. Simmer sauce for about 20 minutes; stir occasionally.

This makes about 2 ½ cups and can keep for up to a week in the fridge.


Tomato Sauce

This recipe comes from a cookbook that I coveted from my father’s collection. He finally bought me my own copy last Christmas (2008), after a long search. It turns out that the cookbook is out of print; however he managed to find it online at a book store in New York City. The cookbook is named: “Recipes from Pasquale’s Kitchen” by Pasquale Carpino and Judith Drynan. My dad wrote on the inside of the book that “Pasquale has gone on to the big cooking school in the sky” so I dedicated this post to Pasquale; a man a never met but who inspired me cook great Italian food. This recipe has not been altered in anyway, with the exception of 1 added ingredient which I will indicate.

*** This Recipe is best with Fresh Tomatoes

1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1 Onion, Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
1 tbsp. Fresh Basil, Chopped
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
2 tbsp. Sugar
1 tbsp. Honey (this is the added ingredient)
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
4 lbs Plum Tomatoes- peeled ** See note at the bottom
1 1/4 Cup Tomato paste
1/2 Cup Red Wine
2 tbsp. Butter

Heat oil in a large pot and cook onion, garlic and seasonings for about 5 minutes. Mash tomatoes up, removing any hard parts, and add to the pot with tomato paste, wine and butter. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often. When the sauce is fairly thick, and the golden oil floats on top, the sauce is done!

*** The easiest way to peel tomatoes is to blanch them in boiling hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment