Saturday, January 9, 2010

Comfort Food: Macaroni & Cheese with Brownies

I love homemade Macaroni and Cheese! I love it so much that when I was 15 I wanted to open a Macaroni and Cheese restaurant! My friends have all had my Macaroni at least once in their lives, and I have one friend that fondly remembers me making it for her. So, as promised, I dedicate this recipe to Cheyenne… the biggest fan of my macaroni and cheese.

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Casserole

1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
1 Onion*
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
2 1/2 Cups Milk
1/4 Cup Bacon Bits (I use leftover bacon from the weekend)*
2 Cups Grated Cheese (Sharp Cheddar is best, but I use a mixture in a pinch)
½ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
½ tsp mustard
2 Cups Macaroni (dry)

Topping:
½ Cup Bread Crumbs
2 tbsp butter
2-4tbsp Grated Cheese (I like fresh Parmesan)
Pinch Paprika

*Onion and Bacon bit are optional

Cook macaroni noodles until tender firm. Melt butter in a sauce pan, add onion (if using) and sauté until transparent. Add flour, salt and pepper and stir until bubbling. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened. Add cheese and stir until smooth; mix in mustard, Worcestershire and bacon bits. In a casserole dish (1.5 quart) mix together cheese mixture with cooked macaroni noodles. Meanwhile, melt butter for topping in a small sauce pan, add bread crumbs and grated cheese. Place topping mixture on macaroni and cover. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes; uncover and bake for 10 minutes at the same temperature.

Serve warm with chopped salad and crusty bread.

I have also included my favorite brownie recipe because nothing says “comfort food” like Mac & followed by a warm plate of Brownies!!

Simple Brownies

Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9” square pan.

In a bowl mix:

3/4 Cup flour (unsifted)
¼ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Salt

In a double boiler or saucepan mix:

1/3 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Sugar (I use half white and half brown)
2 tbsp of water

Once it is boiling add:

1 Cup Chocolate chips
1 tsp Vanilla

Once the chips have melted remove pan from the stove and add 2 eggs and beat. Lightly mix in the flour mixture to the Chocolate mixture.

Bake for 30-35 minutes. I always do the toothpick test…. When the toothpick comes out clean from the centre, they are done. Let cool for 15 minutes and serve with French vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment