Thursday, March 31, 2011

Grilled Cheese with Yam/Sweet potato fries (For the kiddies)

Currently, my house is operatind on a 2 meal time schedule. My husband is not home until 6:30- 7pm but my daughter eats at 5:30. So I have had to come up with different meal ideas on the nights that I am choosing not to cook or to eat later with my husband. I do not like to give the canned-prepared foods often (However, I do...because let's be honest sometimes the day just calls for "easy")so I try to find quick and healthy meals my dusghter will eat. Grilled cheese with yam fries is one of them and it is easy to make!

This is a single portion.

Grilled Cheese

2 pieces of bread
2 tbls Mayonnaise
1 slice of Ham
4 cherry tomatoes chopped
2 tbls butternut squash puree
Cheese- Your choice on the type and the amount.
Butter - Optional. I do not use it with my griller.

If you are using butter, butter the outside of the bread.On one piece of bread apply the mayo and on the other the butternut squash puree. Place cheese on both pieces of bread and then put the tomato and ham on the inside. Salt and pepper to taste. Place together and grill until golden. If you are using a griller, about 4-5 minutes. If you are using a pan, heat the pan on medium and it usually takes 2-3 minutes a side to be done.

Yam fries

1/2 a yam or sweet potato
Olive oil
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400F Oven Slice yam so they are long and thin... like french fries. Add olive oil, cinnamon, salt and pepper to a tupperware container. Toss teh yams in the olive oil mixture. Spray a pan with non-stick spray and place the yams on the pan. Bake for about 15 minutes, turning often.

NOTE: Start the yam fires and while they are cooking do the sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment