Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I fell in love... With a cookbook!

OK!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld! (Not a fan of her hubby... but I love her!) This book is based on the principal of putting pureed veggies and fruit into the food your kids/family already eat! I love it because it is food you give your kids anyway so what is wrong with throwing in a little spinach in with the blueberry bars, a bit of squash with the macaroni or chickpeas with the cookies! Now, I have had a few friends comment about how they want there kids to know they have to eat vegetables or that they can't lie to their kids about it. COME ON PEOPLE!! You lie to them about Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny... often to ensure good behavior but you feel bad lying about a bit of spinach in their blueberry bar?? Really, that is crazy to me! Now, I will admit my kids have to eat vegetables and they do, but there are certain ones they won't eat or don't like. That is where this book comes in. So I ask ... would you rather your children have a variety of vegetables and fruit in their diet (whether they know it or not) or are you content with them only eating carrots and cucumber? (I say all of this with love and fun) xo

I have a few favorites from this book... all of them really, but I will start with a recipe that I already love to make: Macaroni and Cheese!!!

Macaroni and Cheese 1 (Pg 104)

1 1/2 cups Macaroni Noodles
Non-Stick Cooking Spray
1 tbls Olive Oil
1 tbls flour
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 cup butternut squash
1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Cream Cheese
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper and Paprika

Boil noodles in salted water. Drain when cooked. While the noodles are boiling, coat a large sauce pan with cooking spray and the oil and then flour. Stir until the mixture is a paste, do not brown. Add the milk and stir until think. Add the squash puree, cheeses and seasons. Stir until sauce is smooth and the cheese has melted. Add in the macaroni noodles and serve.

You can also use cauliflower puree. I make butternut squash soup a lot so I often use the leftover as the puree. I like to double the cheese sauce recipe and make the macaroni a little creamier and save some of the sauce for quick lunches and dinner for the kids. Serve with a green salad as a side.

Enjoy!!! And keep checking back for more favorites... and a few of my own creations!


2 comments:

  1. Does the squash make the end result sweet? I'm trying to wrap my head around it but keep stopping cold at the notion of a sweet/savory mac and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. The mac and cheese takes exactly the same... ironically enough!

    ReplyDelete